Legal Matters: How To Deal With The Party House Next Door

Group of Friends Partying in a PoolAn all too common scenario: you own a home that’s next to a rental “party house”. The landlord next door rents out his property to noisy people who have parties that last well into dawn every single night. To top it all off, they litter everywhere and even use your driveway to park their vehicles. Aside from keeping you up all night because of the noise, the behavior of the renters is also causing you to fear for your safety. You might ask a real estate lawyer in Denver, Colorado if you can stop this behavior.

Can You Do Anything to Stop It?

First, try talking to the noisy renter-neighbors. If they decline your invitation to talk, or if they agreed to speak with you but don’t want to acknowledge your request, then you could go directly to their landlord to try and resolve the issue.

If speaking to the neighbors and landlord didn’t work, you have a couple of options. First, since the neighbors and their guests are essentially disturbing the peace and parking their vehicles in your property, they’re technically trespassing. You could call the police to break up the party and take care of the illegally parked vehicles. However, this is a temporary solution at best.

When it comes to the boisterous parties, this could be considered a “private nuisance”, which is likely serious since you already fear for your safety even if you’re in your own home. A nuisance in this context is any activity that significantly interferes the use of your property because it is obstructive, offensive, or irritating, explains an experienced real estate lawyer in Denver.

This could include anything from blocking your driveway and noisy parties (as in your case) to indecent signs and illegal gambling. Similarly, conditions that have an impact on a community as a whole are considered a public nuisance. In your case, you could file a lawsuit to reduce or completely remove the nuisance.

Yes, You Have The Power

You could do the following to protect your rights: you could speak to all relevant parties involved, call the attention of the police, or file a lawsuit. Remember that you have to sue the landlord/owner and not the renters of the party house next door. If the renters’ activities are also affecting your neighbors, the issue could be considered a public nuisance, and all affected parties could join hands and sue the landlord. Get advice from a lawyer to determine the best course of action.

pdf library mp3 database movie database